Saturday, March 1, 2008

Carbon-neutral Bird Count

This is my list for February:

Bald Eagle - 2 (a pair)
Black-billed Magpie - 1
Black-capped Chickadee (male and female) - many
Common Redpoll (male and female) - many
Crow - several
Hairy Woodpecker (male) - 1+
Junco - 1
Pine Grosbeak (male and female) - many
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1
Ruffed Grouse - 1

"I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn."
~ from Walden by Henry David Thoreau

I, too, would like to pay tribute to all the hardy birds which inhabit the surrounding forest, keep me company and give me so much joy during the cold winter months.

February 16/08 - Pine Grosbeak, male and female in poplar tree

February 26/08 - Redpolls in saskatoon bush