Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Simple Pleasures

"The little things? The little moments? They aren't little."
~John Zabat-Zinn


It seems as though overnight the forest floor has been altered, and the colour scheme has gone from brown to green. Of course, Nature has been steadily progressing towards this day a little at a time. Still, I am surprised and, Oh so delighted, to see that many of the woodland plants have revived, popped up, leafed out. . . .


"Each moment of the year has its own beauty."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson


Wild Rose stem
A lot of the shrubs and trees
are almost ready
to put on their green leaf finery.

The very first flower - the dandelion
always reminds me of the sun.

Oregon Grape cluster of buds
that will very soon become
a beautiful yellow colour.

Arnica
This lovely fuzzy plant
has just begun to emerge
and is one of the first to flower - yellow.

One stray Johnny Jump Up or Viola -
not the wild variety, but
it looks so pretty I had to include it.

Several of these wild Columbine plants
have seeded themselves in the garden.
See the tiny forget-me-not
that has cozied up beside it?

No matter what,
I can always depend on
the little red squirrel
to make me laugh.

That's not me or my camera.
Squirrel is making short work
of peeling this spruce cone.
Look at those scales!

<<<<<>>>>>