Thursday, May 15, 2008

WildLife

Temperature Today: 22C (72F)
Very windy with some cloud cover.

Aside from getting the garden ready for planting (pulling weeds, adding nutrients and soil conditioners and generally spending a lot of money at the garden center) I've also been recording as much as I can of the wild things. . .


May 12, 2008
Mule Deer are shedding their winter coats

May 12, 2008
Spring molt

May 12, 2008
Deer hair on trail

I have never in my entire life encountered a Wolverine in the wild. I am constantly looking out the upstairs windows to see if there's any kind of wildlife on the rugged hill below. Most of the time nothing is going on, but occasionally I've seen deer, squirrels and fox - a bear as well. This is during thirty years of living here. So, on this day, I think I see something that resembles a weasel, but that's not right because what I see is larger. I don't have much time to dwell on it as the animal is moving very fast between the trees, and I'm trying to take at least one decent photo. I compared my pictures with some of the ones on the internet, and I think it could be a Wolverine? If anyone has any expertise in this field, I welcome your comments.

Note 17/05/08: Mystery animal is a Fisher.

May 14, 2008
This is when I first saw it

May 14, 2008
Wolverine? on hillside

Now that the remainder of the ice has melted and the lake is open again, the water is very high and some of the low lying grassy areas have begun to flood. This isn't unusual - it happens every year, but the water is getting close to the bridge deck. We'll probably know in a few days whether or not it's going to rise further. Fortunately, there's another route out if the water comes over the bridge.

May 15, 2008
The ducks like their new pond

May 15, 2008
Flooding beside the road