Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Chick-a-dee-dee-dee

This is the first day of the Great Bird Count of October. I put up the feeders on Sunday, and it didn't take long before the Black-capped Chickadees were happily sampling the fare.

For more information about this fun event, please follow the link on my sidebar.


9:30 - 10:40
Temperature:10C (50F)
Sunny, blue sky, some cloud

The Chickadees were flying back and forth, coming for sunflower seeds. I sat on a bench near the feeders and counted more than fifteen. Then I went for a walk on the trail. I didn't notice the Grouse in the bushes at the edge of the garden. All I saw of these shy birds was a great flutter of wings when I accidentally disturbed them. I could hear the Grouse making little noises, but I wasn't able to locate them in the thick vegetation. It was fairly quiet in the woods - a crow flew over cawing and the geese were honking somewhere nearby. I checked again on the feeders and took this picture. The Chickadees are being very careful of one another - they don't all come at once. Sometimes two end up being at a feeder at the same time, and then there's usually a squawk from one of them.