Thursday, October 2, 2008

Woodpecker Sighting

Yesterday I worked in the garden for part of the afternoon. Hot and tired, I was just taking away some weeds and other garden waste in the wheelbarrow when a sound from over by the bird feeders caught my attention. Pik, pik, pik What luck! A woodpecker at one of the feeders! I had bought the Food Bar & Basket Combo specially to attract the woodpeckers. It had brought the chickadees right away. Three days after hanging this delectable treat there he was - pecking away at the seeds. I ran in to wash my hands and get my camera.
Hairy Woodpecker, Male

Hairy or Downy Woodpecker? I think he is a Downy. I couldn't see those dark bars on his outer tail feathers that distinguish the Downy from the Hairy but he's about the same length as the basket which is 17.8 cm (7 inches). Downy Woodpeckers are 17 cm (6 3/4 inches) in length, and Hairy Woodpeckers, 24 cm (9 1/4 inches).

Hairy Woodpecker, Male