Friday, April 17, 2009

On This Peaceful Morning

I sat for a while
on the front steps
with my dog &
a steaming mug of tea

That's when I saw my first butterfly of the season
fluttering in the air, then landing on a piece of
firewood in the open woodshed, finding the sun.

By the time I got my camera, the butterfly
was no longer there.

I looked around for several minutes
spotted those rust-coloured wings again,
watched as the butterfly came to rest
in this spruce tree.

The next place I found the butterfly
was on these sun-warmed stones
near the driveway.

This is the Compton Tortoiseshell (Nymphalis vaualbum).

Note: The Compton Tortoiseshell hibernates as an adult and can survive until the following June. source: Butterflies of Canada

What is most remarkable about this particular sighting is that the Compton Tortoiseshell was the last butterfly species I saw before the cold weather set in last year. At that time (October), one of these amazing butterflies was looking for a place to hibernate. Most likely this is not the same one I saw in the autumn, but I think it is fitting that the Compton Tortoiseshell is the first butterfly of the year to appear in my yard.

Temperature: 7C (44.6F)