Monday, April 6, 2009

Varied Thrush

This week I am featuring the Varied Thrush Ixoreus naevius. Being relatively new to bird watching (a year and a half), I am thrilled to be able to add the Varied Thrush to my small, but growing list of bird sightings. This one, I believe, is the male.
  • grayish-blue nape and back
  • beautiful orange eyebrow and wing bars
  • underparts orange with black breast band
The single Thrush turned up on my doorstep - actually close to it - last Wednesday. I saw him with some of the redpolls pecking in the gravel on the driveway. Then on Thursday I noticed him near the bird feeders. He was very shy, and I barely had time to take a picture before he flew away.


On Friday, he was again by the bird feeders and moving in and out of the trees. Perhaps I will be able to get some better photos in the next few days. I have not seen a female or any other males.

Bird Photography Weekly.