Monday, June 15, 2009

Crows

The crows have been very vocal lately. I think their babies have fledged! Perhaps I will be as lucky as I was last year and catch sight of the baby crows in the brush, well protected by family members. The "helper" crows are often older siblings from previous years broods. They sometimes remain "on their parents' territory for five or more years".*

The two pictures below were taken last year ~

Young crows on a fallen tree, becoming very quiet at the approach of an intruder. I noticed them because their parents were making such a racket in the trees as I walked past them on the trail. It took me several minutes to locate the babies as they were on the densely treed hillside below me and not easily seen at first.

A baby crow has blue eyes and pink inside the mouth.

*article by Sean Serrell (Cornell Lab of Ornithology)

Bird Photography Weekly #42