Friday, January 13, 2012

The Forest is Alive Even in the Depths of Winter

~ January 15 ~

Pine Grosbeaks sitting in the bright winter sunshine.

~ January 13th ~


Today when I came out of the house, I was greeted by the lovely song of the male grosbeak.  I looked up to see him at the very top of this tree.

The loud call of the Pileated Woodpecker and then his hammering on some nearby tree soon got my attention though.  The odd hollow sound was coming from an ancient tree, still standing but not green anymore.  The woodpecker didn't seem to be looking for insects, but was simply tattooing out a message.  Every so often he would stop and just sit there. Waiting.  It wasn't long before a second Pileated Woodpecker arrived on the scene.  Both the female and male Pileated Woodpecker have the red crest, but I really couldn't get a good identification of either of these birds.  They were too far away.

As if that wasn't enough excitement for the day, shortly after seeing the woodpeckers, I saw one of the lake's Bald Eagles perched in a spruce tree very close to the house.
 
 ~ January 12th ~

On my walk through the woods, I spied a busy squirrel feasting on a morsel taken from an evergreen that had blown over in a strong wind.

~ January 10th ~

The pine grosbeaks love to perch on the highest branch.  This one appeared to be sunning herself, but she was only pausing momentarily before flying down to the bird feeders.