Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Crows and Eagles

This took place last Sunday evening - I was at my computer when I looked out the window and noticed a crow making odd short flights in a particular part of the woods. Then I realized, "Hey, there's got to be an eagle somewhere close by." I went out, hurried down the path, and easily found the eagle by watching and listening to that crow. The eagle, on the other hand, was very quiet and didn't seem all that bothered, but eventually would grow tired of the crow's annoying close passes. The crow was relentless and didn't let up for an instant. I've seen this happen before, and it's amazing how long a crow can maintain this constant barrage.

Bald Eagle perched in the very top
of a tall spruce tree.

Crow defending its territory and its nest site.

Keeping up the harassment until the eagle finally leaves.


Carbon-neutral bird count for the month of April is on my sidebar.

Other sightings using the car plus walking -

  • Belted Kingfisher (1)
  • Gull (2)
  • Hooded Merganser (2+)
  • Mallard (2+)
  • Mountain Bluebird (10+)
  • Northern Flicker (4)
  • Rough-legged Hawk (1+)
  • Sandpiper (1)