Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Around Home

The last of the leaves on these Poplar trees
The Chickadees like their gourmet dinner
of rolled oats, seeds, peanut butter and fat,
served in a colourful recycled net bag
Aster flowers gone to seed
and looking very fall like
I played hide-and-go-seek with this pretty butterfly the other day. Actually, I was surprised to see a butterfly flitting about in the cool autumn air. He went behind the garage and around to the other side. I lost sight of him for a short time, then saw the fluttering black and orange wings again by the woodshed. He disappeared inside the open garage, but I found him, finally, resting in the sunshine nearby. I wonder where this butterfly is today. Last night the temperatures dipped below freezing, and at 7:00 this morning it was -4C (24.8F).

Many thanks to Christy (My Photography,My Passion
) in Michigan for identifying this beautiful butterfly for me. It wasn't one I was familiar with, nor could I find it in my book. The Compton Tortoiseshell is an amazing butterfly, and I will have another post devoted to it tomorrow.