Please click on any image to enlarge

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Around Home

The last of the leaves on these Poplar trees
The Chickadees like their gourmet dinner
of rolled oats, seeds, peanut butter and fat,
served in a colourful recycled net bag
Aster flowers gone to seed
and looking very fall like
I played hide-and-go-seek with this pretty butterfly the other day. Actually, I was surprised to see a butterfly flitting about in the cool autumn air. He went behind the garage and around to the other side. I lost sight of him for a short time, then saw the fluttering black and orange wings again by the woodshed. He disappeared inside the open garage, but I found him, finally, resting in the sunshine nearby. I wonder where this butterfly is today. Last night the temperatures dipped below freezing, and at 7:00 this morning it was -4C (24.8F).

Many thanks to Christy (My Photography,My Passion
) in Michigan for identifying this beautiful butterfly for me. It wasn't one I was familiar with, nor could I find it in my book. The Compton Tortoiseshell is an amazing butterfly, and I will have another post devoted to it tomorrow.