Friday, April 25, 2008

At Home

What a gorgeous day it has been! There was a bit of a breeze blowing, but it was very warm in the sun.


I like the mornings best. The birds are active in the trees and shrubs and on the ground - twittering, peeping and singing their songs. It's a nice time to be outdoors. I took all the bird pictures between 9:00 and 9:30 a.m. (please click on pictures to enlarge)

Resident Crow in spruce tree.
A very fine, intelligent bird.

So nice to have the Robin
back in the neighbourhood. Caroling.
The Dark-eyed Junco is welcome
in my garden anytime. This picture
shows some of the Junco's white outer tail
feathers. Musical trill.



White-crowned Sparrow
Those black and white stripes
really stand out. Pretty whistling notes.
This tangled looking willow is a
popular perching spot for
many of the songbirds.
It's without leaves right now, but
the birds aren't concerned.


Later, in the afternoon, I was in my garden weeding one of the raised beds when I realized my dog wasn't anywhere around. She had found the snakes on the other side of the house and was sitting at the edge of the hill just watching, fascinated by them.

These are the first garter snakes I've seen this year.

I know many people have an aversion to snakes. At one time I did too, but I've gotten used to these harmless garter snakes being here. I see them more in the spring than at any other time - they like to come out of hiding to be in the sun. I'll take more pictures and do another post entirely on the timid garter snakes.

Enjoy your weekend! I'll be out in the kitchen garden singing my own song.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~