Friday, June 6, 2008

Crows

6:00 a.m. - What a commotion there is in the yard so early in the morning! I looked out the window to see crows everywhere, cawing incessantly and flying from tree, to bush, to tree. (I can still hear them now as I write this more than an hour later, but the sound comes from further away. The "caws" are short: caw-caw-caw-caw and then repeated over and over.) I couldn't tell what the fuss was all about, but I think the baby crows have left the nest and are trying their wings. It's curious though. There were several crows around, not just the two parents. It was like a community of crows had gathered together, and all were watching out for the fledglings. I did a bit of reading up on them, and learned that older siblings will often help feed the crow babies and will also help feed as well as protect them after they've fledged.

Attentive

Caw, Caw, Caw, Caw

Wary

Watchful