Monday, April 6, 2020

Pileated Woodpecker

I heard their calls when I went for my walk this morning, but I didn't expect to see the woodpeckers down on the ground a little while later. It didn't seem to faze them that I was only a short distance away. During these difficult and uncertain times, observing the birds and the usual springtime rituals reminds me of nature's constancy and keeps me hopeful.  Stay safe and healthy.


When first observed, this Pileated Woodpecker was digging out an anthill.

This is the male with the red "mustache" stripe.

And this is the female without the red stripe.

The woodpecker pair together at the anthill.

The red patch on the male extends all the way from his bill across his crown to the back of his head, while the red patch on the female only partially covers her head leaving her forehead bare.